THE COMMON ORIGIN OF SOCIAL PLATFORMS:
- CONNECTION (people you already know)
- DISCOVERY (new connections)
- SHARING (especially on FB, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest)
- Social platforms want to be inseparable part of our life!
- Every step of the way they encourage more connection, discovery and sharing
- KEY: Platforms were not monetized!
WHY WE SIGNED UP
- Connection (family & friends)
- Discovery (new friends, brands, ideas/content)
- Sharing (who doesn’t love sharing videos, memes, jokes, inspiration, etc)
- Social platform owners have optimized the platform for greater connection, discovery, and sharing
- and serving targeted ads!!!!
- the difference, the platforms are MONETIZED!
- not just ads…. targeted ads. that’s what they pride themselves in!
- there is a very delicate balance between optimizing the user experience, and optimizing for ad penetration/performance
- they MUST make money
WHAT PEOPLE TURNED SOCIAL MEDIA IN TO: selling, shopping, promoting, brand building
STEPS FOR BUSINESS BUILDING IN SOCIAL IS NOT THE SAME AS RETAIL
- unsuccessful marketers/influencers treat social media like it’s retail
- in retail simply walking into a store is a signal that you are considering buying… or open to marketing messaging
- marketers and business builders are having a tough time because they think just because someone started to follow their account they are open to buying and marketing messages.