- This is especially applicable to influencers, social sellers, brand builders
- my wife always coaches her team to “make a friend first”
- people do not sign up for social media to be pitched products
- they sign in to Connect, Discover, Share
- your focus must be on making a connection/relationship
- People rarely go from “stranger to customer” without becoming a friend first
- Friendship is such an influential tool. who do we trust more? A “5 star rating” on amazon or a word of mouth suggestion from a friend?
Strive for "Conversation" not "Conversion"
Sales/retail: "Conversion". Basically, it just means "turning a prospect into a sale”.
Sales is ALL ABOUT CONVERSION.
Instead, social media success is completely dependent on MAKING CONVERSATIONS/RELATIONSHIPS, not conversions.
In a retail store people who walk in are already signaling that they are "ready to buy", or at least open to a "pitch". But social media is completely different.
- Following an account is not really a signal for buying interest
- Liking a post is not a signal for buying interest
- A lot of people get this wrong! they start messaging you the second you start to follow. or as soon as you Like.
- it closes more doors than it opens. (be patient!)
EARN THE RIGHT TO BE HEARD